Monday, February 9, 2009

Post #4: Think Different: A Wide Shot

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.
They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo.
You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.
Because they change things. They push the human race forward.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

The 1997 Apple campaign, "Think Different" spoke to a generation of change. In 2009, I think that a significant groundswell has arisen with the same sentiment. The original ad included the leaders, heroes, thinkers, and artists of recent generations: Albert Einstein, Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi, John Lennon, to name a few. I decided to look at our contemporaries to find this generations "think differenters." As history has yet to judge our heroes, I found this harder than anticipated, so I consider this an incomplete and insufficient list. I'd love to hear from you about who else deserves to be here.

Without further ado, a 2009 update:

(click to enlarge)

I actually found this assignment quite difficult, which was surprising to me, considering that I am constantly working with the visual. I struggled with coming up with an argument that was inherently visual, and then I found it limiting to use other people's photos to create my argument. With time, I think using my own photographs would have given me a lot more control.

As for the content of the image, I really wanted to capture the feeling of "change" which seems to have become an American theme in the past year, particular with Barack Obama's campaign and election. As mentioned before, I found it hard to find people who lived up to apple's orignal ad, so for that reason, I'm a bit unsatisfied with the final image. Aesthetically, I wanted to combine these disparate portraits into one image. I thought that it would create a more cohesive meaning than a series of images to scroll through. I added a text introduction, because one: I really like the text from the apple ad and I think it contributes to the meaning of images, and two: since my image directly references something that's been done before, I thought it needed some context.

The end, again.

Image composited from Time 100 portraits.




No comments:

Post a Comment