The horror! I've been tasked to create a prompt-less blog post, and this prospect frightens me--so much so that I've put it off for a month. In any case, my avoidance issues are a matter for another blog, so let's get down to business.
Below, find my musings on the new media nooks and crannies, where you can spot the digitized Ian:Facebook (Addiction Rating: 10/10)
Where to begin here? The facebook phenomenon certainly has its predecessors (myspace, friendster), but what Marc Zuckerburg has created is like a monopolized block hole--sucking life up from the real world and transferring it to the internet. Almost anything can be housed here - photos, videos, music, art, friendships, even love, dare I say. And I'm no exception. As soon as my photos are uploaded to my computer, they go on facebook. Even beforehand, there is always the consideration that I will have an audience of my peers as I snap the shutter. Same with videos. I keep in touch with friends not by calling them, but by looking at their profile updates. Sometimes we talk on facebook chat, but instead of laughing about a hilarious story or inside joke, we "lol." There's a big difference. I even flirt with girls on facebook. Please purge that last sentence from your minds.
It's no wonder people spend so much time on facebook: almost all aspects of one's life is within a click's reach. It's no doubt convenient, but I think, in a way, the quality of our interactions have been sacrificed. It's too easy for effort to be spared in the name of ease. Social new media is a big scary monster, and it is perhaps impossible to fully analyze its effects in one measly blog post. However, I can fully analyze one thing here: I spend far too much time with it.
Youtube (Addiction Rating: 7/10)
My identity on Youtube is that of the "lurker." While there is certainly a community built into YT, I prefer to browse the endless video supply anonymously. This lack of interactivity does not prevent me from spending countless hours on the site, however. Working on the youtube pioneer show, lonelygirl15, didn't help in this matter either. UGC (User Generated Content) is a catalyst for the humorous, the random, and the deranged. And the boring and pointless as well, of course. But part of the beauty of youtube is sifting through the garbage to find the hidden gems. I have become a bit of a legend among my friends for finding the very best videos and swiftly sharing them. Or that annoying guy who's constantly sending links. Its all in the eye of the beholder.
As a filmmaker, I have additional vested interest in youtube. A key aspect of web 2.0 is the ability for the consumer to create products for consumption by other consumers. New technologies have led to the rise of the laymen--and the fall of top down production. As someone who studies filmmaking--the effects of this for me are mixed. On the one hand, now anyone can make movies. It doesn't take a special degree, a lot of money or equiptment to produce something of relatively high quality. On the other, youtube (and other video sites) is a great way for up-and-coming filmmakers to reach much larger audiences than they previously could. As online video technologies continue to expand, we'll see how they affect young filmmakers.
Fark (Addiction Rating: 5/10)
I got much of my news here--with a liberal slant, of course. This aggregate site pulls from a lot of sources, so you at least get many different viewpoints. You also get some very silly news stories. For example: Life imitates bad Samuel Jackson movie - Plane grounded due to snakes. Click on the comments to find myself and others arguing fervently.
MGoBlog (Addiction Rating: 6/10)
Twenty-first journalism means that I don't have to settle for my Michigan Football news only once a day, but I can check it every hour. It's kind of sick.
Pandora (Addiction Rating: 4/10)
This site is just awesome--free streaming music, customized to your taste. I'm still torn on whether or not listening to hardcore rap while I work hampers my ability to write a paper on postmodernism.
Twitter (Addiction Rating: 0/10)
Don't use it. Don't get it. Expect this to change once I realize all the cool kids are doing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment