Thursday, April 16, 2009

Post #7: This New-Fangled Podcasting Thingy Dingy

I consider myself fairly new media literate, but before taking this course, I hadn't engaged with the new technological form known as podcasting. I'm not quite sure why in never peaked my interest. Perhaps it is because in an era of interactivity--of clicking and scrolling and linking and browsing and general doing--the podcast merely requires you to sit and listen. I think it makes me uncomfortable to simply sit in front of a computer and do...nothing. My hands start itching. My eyes scan the screen for something to interact with. But at the same time, sitting and doing nothing is something I'm quite adept at. Just ask my TV. So, in the name of fairness (and course requirements), I decided to give the podcast a try. My experience follows:

First, an interesting tidbit: I always assumed that Podcast was a contraction of iPod and Broadcast. In the begginning, this was indeed the case. But as podcasts became more ubiquitous and technologically versatile, a "backronym" developed where podcast stood for "
Personal On Demand broadCAST." On a side note, I think backronym is a pretty cool word. Backronym.

Alright, onward. I lost my podcast virginity to an episode of This American Life, entitled, "Plan B." And it didn't hurt as bad as they say! Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. The image on the right aptly describes the show: "Funny. Dramatic. Surprising. True." Although the program ran an hour, my attention didn't really wane until perhaps the very end. I was generally entertained and those voices are just so aesthetically pleasing. The segment titled "Cuervo Man" was definitely a highlight. Though there were no images, I could easily picture John Hodgeman's absurd descriptions. Clearly, the first step to creating a successful personal narrative for podcast is a well-written story. That said, the unique auditory "telling" of the story, lends something
else to what was previously only written. Perhaps its the intonation of the narrator or the music. Or maybe the sound effects. However, I think the real appeal of the podcast form is that it harkens back to and recreates the traditional form of oral story-telling. As you become invested in the audio world, the narrator comes to life. They become a friend. It's something intimate. And they are painting this picture especially for you.

With all of this said, I'm not sure that I have become a full podcasting convert. For one, they are a time investment. At an hour in length
This American Life will have to compete with other forms of entertainment which I enjoy, such as films and TV. Also, other podcasts, such as traditional news giant BBC's Newspod, seem less efficient. Mainly, I can't choose what news I want to read about--they select it for me. Jennifer Maderazo has wrriten an interesting article entitled "Six Reasons I'm Not Hooked on Podcasts." It's a quick read and I agree with many of her points.

All in all, I was especially impressed with
This American Life. It opened my eyes to the world of podcasting, and I will definitely revisit it...when I find the time.

Photo Credits:
Podcast
This American Life

No comments:

Post a Comment